Start a new topic

Stop installing this crappy Plays.TV automatically!

I've been using Raptr for years. I love it for tracking my game activity. I don't need all this extra crap, and I especially don't need a program that's recording everything I do on my computer. I uninstalled it when it first showed up... then I get a new update today and it's re-installed again. If this doesn't go away I'm going to have to just completely uninstall Raptr.

Any chance we can get a lightweight app JUST for tracking gameplay and nothing else?

10 people like this idea

Comments to this discussion are now closed!

We're really sorry that this happened to you as this issue was first made aware to us a couple weeks ago.  It turned out to be a bug in our Plays.tv uninstaller where we did not remember whether or not the user had manually uninstalled the app. Once we found out this was happening, we stopped pushing out the client update to the rest of the users.

Unfortunately, in order to fix the problem, we had to release another version of the client on March 3rd, 2016 (which comes with Plays.tv) which contains the logic to remember whether or not the user has manually uninstalled Plays.tv. This is the reason why we had to install it once again on your machine. From here on out, Plays.tv will not install/update itself unless the user already has Plays.tv installed, or you are installing Raptr fresh on a new PC.

Again, we apologize that this has happened to you, and it will not happen again in the future.

Feel free and let me know if you have any additional feedback!

Well today Plays tv decided to install itself all over the place. Clearly the issue is not resolved its still happening to some extent.

@niccarpediem - To gain more detail, you had uninstalled Plays.tv prior to March 3rd and now it is trying to install it again?

This is still an issue, I uninstalled Plays.tv after the March 3rd date and found out that it reinstalled itself and turned itself on with all settings reset to default including to use 10 GB of space so it would automatically record when I open a game. I don't want Plays.tv to be installed, I don't want it to assume I want to record videos and eat up my harddrive when I don't even have enough free space and can't even find where it saves the videos so it can delete them. This is atleast the third or fourth time that I have uninstalled it, had Raptr reinstall it even though I don't want it on my computer at all, and I'm pretty sure it's not just doing it during an update but also sometimes when I start up Raptr and there is no update to install. This is getting ridicoulous. Next time Plays.tv reinstalls without asking me first, I will be uninstalling Raptr completely from all my computers and never using it again. This whole were going to install a program on your computer after you uninstall it is exactly what a virus would do and if this keeps up, I'm going to treat Raptr like a virus. Fix this immediately.

Latest update installed Plays.tv again, even after manually uninstalling it previously.

Yep...uninstalled it....AGAIN.

Raptr is Adware.

Back then I was having the same issue as the OP. Unfortunately after today's Raptr update Plays.tv was installed *and* enabled *again*.

This is the third time I have to unintall Plays.tv. Please get this sorted out as I won't be putting up with an unwanted program that fills up my hard disk getting reinstalled forever.

We realized this issue soon after updating it on Friday. We should have made the correction now so it shouldn't happen. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Plays.tv has installed itself THREE times without my permission. I'm uninstalling Raptr, it's not worth the hassle.

@Hunterkillerer - Can you let me know when it last reinstalled? I want to ensure that it's not happening with 1.9.1 (there was a bug on 1.9.0 that a small amount of users may have gotten the reinstall when they should not have).

Hmmm me thinks that the seperation of Plays and Raptr was a bad Idea.  Maybe you should have your "sowftware Devs" undo the crap update.

And you know that while I may be a thorn in your side verun.  I am 100% correct in the statement that I have made.

@obscurespace - Everyone is welcome to their opinion here and I am not going to censor anyone if they have negative feedback. Any type of feedback, whether negative or positive, can help shape anything. However, it's easier to determine the changes if we have constructive feedback such as:

• What don't you like exactly about the client?
  • What would you change?
  • If you liked Raptr, but not Plays.tv, what differences made that decision for you?
Keep in mind that any change can't necessarily be fixed or altered with a push of a button. Any change will take time to implement. So we apologize for that, but the more feedback we get, the more ideas we get for what we need to change.
I'd just like te report that the last update did not reinstall plays.tv, so thank you for fixing that.

Further I wanted to mention that I disagree with @obscurespace . I never used the recording feature in Raptr so being able to not have it take up space, especially given that it is becoming more complex all the time, was a nice feature. More complex = more bugs and not having those in the product I do choose to use is always a bonus.

The problem I had with it, and why the reinstall bothered me so is that it was
a) installed by default, while could argue  the feature was in Raptr already so that just installing Plays.tv just provided the same functionality on the initial upgrade. It's jarring though if one is not aware of Plays.tv's affiliation with Raptr.
b) enabled by default, by which I mean that without my consent it started recording my gaming sessions. Which I only noticed when I ran out of disk space. (I know there is a popup, but I didn't realize it started actually recording without my telling it to do so until I actually ran out of disk space). I would argue that making this a setting that's *off* by default would make a lot of sense.
c) the plays.tv client isn't very userfriendly imho (eg. turning it off turned out to be a hassle so I just got rid of it)

@theBlackDragon - I appreciate the update and letting me know!

For your points you mentioned, we're slowly making improvements to make it more user friendly, but we definitely want to squash some bugs first. I apologize that you didn't have a great experience when it first rolled out, but thank you for the feedback!