Start a new topic

Raptr/AMD GE eating frames?

I noticed today that durring one of my training sessions that I had Raptr/AMD GE closed and that my FPS was higher, almost by 50% higher. I was stunned to see almost 200 FPS on BF4. I wanted to take a screenshot so that I may post it to some forums I use, thats when I noticed Raptr/AMD GE was not running. 

To make the story short, when Raptr/AMD GE is running I lose out on a LOT of FPS. When it is closed I get an improvement of anywhere from 30% to even 80%. 

Anyone else getting such monster power useage by Raptr/AMD GE? 

My system is:

CPU AMD FX 8320

GPU AMD R9 270 (Thank you Raptr and AMD for the card)

RAM 16gb

Login to post a comment

Hey there, 

(And 'You're Welcome' for the card :-) )

Is Battlefield 4 the only game this is happening in?

Would you mind testing other games?

Also, another Origin game (if you have one) would be good to test too.

All games are running at 1080p, graphic settings are the same between testing without and with Raptr. All FPS is counted from Fraps with the same programs running in the background and the same scene for each test.

Full computer specs can be found HERE (pcpartpicker)

Banished: 162+fps

Banished with Raptr: 100ish fps

Space Engineers: low 32 high 80, Menu screen 500+ fps, Load Screen 1200+ fps

Space Engineers with Raptr:  Low 30 High 50, Menu screen 450ish fps, Load Screen 1000ish fps

Arma 3: Menu 56, low 32 high 54

Arma 3 with Raptr: Menu 40, low 29 high 32

Orion Prelude: Menu 164 fps, low 69 high 120

Orion Prelude with Raptr: Menu 146, low 57 high 102 (overall lower avg fps)

Results:

Banished: 38% fps loss

Space Engineers: 37% fps loss

Arm 3: 40% fps loss

Orion Prelude: 15% fps loss

BF4: 41% fps loss

Overall this is an average loss of 34% of fps. I have already reinstalled Raptr/AMD GE, to check if that was the issue and it was not. I keep Raptr/AMD GE on my SSD along with my OS and BF4.

I do understand that Raptr's team is very very small and they are very limited in terms of manpower (and womanpower). This is still brand new and will only get better down the road as people submit bug reports and feedback. Currently I have turned off Raptr/AMD GE until the next update, at which point I will be testing again and reporting back. I really love being able to record and share my gameplay, and I know that LinkSmash loves to watch my videos. I really want to stay around and record and share, but with so much power eaten up by Raptr/AMD GE I would rather play a game that looks wonderful and runs wonderful than cut my settings down and my fps down to be able to record and share. Maybe if I had a second GPU I would be able to run Raptr/AMD GE without any FPS or quality loss, but I sadly don't have the income to save up for a second card. 

I am going to stick around and try to talk with the community, help out where I can and encourage players to try out Raptr/AMD GE and give their feedback. I really hope this can be fixed and that my feedback has been very helpful for you all. 

Would you mind sending logs after getting your FPS loss?

To send to your log files:

1) Open the Raptr client

2) Right click on the Raptr icon in the system tray

3) Click on Help, then Feedback.

4) In the window that appears, check the box at the bottom (Send log file).

5) In the text box, please either describe the issue or paste the forum link for your issue.

6) Hit send.

7) Post back here when you have sent your logs.

(Note: Make sure that you quit out of any game you are in before you send in your logs.) 

I sent the logs, hope they are the ones you are looking for. I would really like to get this solved and be able to record and share.

I noticed a similar problem. I play Arma 2OA a lot, and after a while my ingame FPS get halfed. Like I have 40-60 FPS and after a while it drops to 20-30 FPS. I couldn't pinpoint it for a while, then I ran the game without Raprt and the FPS stay the same for the whole playing session. I start Raptr again and after 15-30 minutes FPS are dropped for 50% again.