Start a new topic
Solved

GameDVR 109 error or raptr_encoder_server crash

I see the same error all over the old forums and across google.

Seems it hasn't been fixed in 6 months.

This problem persists now even after reinstall of Windows and clean install of Raptr as well.

It happened with old and new drivers. Old and new Windows. Old and new Raptr.

It worked at one point, until they added this DVR crap.

Anyways, until it is fixed, this is the only workaround I have for all those having the same problem:

Go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Raptr\

Delete/rename/move (your choice) these files AFTER STARTING RAPTR:

raptr_encoder_server64-#####.exe

raptr_encoder_server-#####.exe

(where ##### is 5 numbers I assuming is the build version)

The only other option, and it's not as intuitive as you think, is to disable game tracking COMPLETELY in the settings. Disabling replay/DVR does NOT work (never enabled it), disabling in-game overlay does NOT work either.

My post was for the 109 error, but after much messing around trying to fix it (including uninstall, clean all files and reboot), I also got an actual crash from the encoder EXE, which is how I figured out this work around. If you don't need to record anything, simply remove the EXEs from the equation.

Thanks and you are welcome. Hopefully this gets fixed officially though, but it looks like it will not be. All I see is posts from staff asking for logs, they get them, nothing else is ever posted. I submitted my logs as well, doing my part, I just hope they uphold their end. Doesn't matter all that much to me as I don't record with the app, but I'm sure some others would like to use that feature and not get 0 or 1 fps or crashing EXEs.

edit:

for google:

WARNING: Dummy-13: OverlayManager::_gameDVRErrorCB(): encountered error 109

WARNING: MainThread: GameDVR::errorCB(): an error was encountered (109)

raptr encoder server has stopped working

gamedvr error

the gamedvr service reported unexpected error (109)

record error. turn on overlay for more information

raptr amd gaming evolved

0 fps

1 fps

slow

freeze freezing frozen

crash

Login to post a comment

Hmm... Seems they have a check for these EXEs on startup. If you delete or renaming them before launching, it will error out about it and not start. If you delete after it's launched, there is no problem what-so-ever.

If you want to use this workaround, you will need some trickery, like:

- Replace EXEs with "dummies", but likely won't work as it may need to return information to the main app

- Make an AutoIt/Batch script to rename the files (time delayed) after launching the main app and then renaming them back after closing or at next start of script anyways.

- ???? Can't think of any other way ATM.

It's really annoying how tied into the app this DVR crap is. I don't want it. I don't use it. If I hadn't found this workaround, raptr would have been dead to me forever, probably. I seriously don't understand why it's checking if it can record when i specifically told it not to record EVER and in such an aggressive loop for no reason at all. The logs show it trying and fail and trying and failing (you get the idea). How's about try 1-3 times 10 seconds apart and call it a loss instead of break every single hookable game!?!?

Not going to post a compile AutoIt EXE here as I don't know if it's allowed and some anti-viruses throw up false positives.

Install AutoIt3

Open Scite (script editor for autoit)

Paste this in:

;installs to program files, so require admin
#RequireAdmin

;find install directory from registry
$programFolder = RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Raptr\Overlay","InstallationDirectory")
$programFolder &= "\"
;MsgBox(0,'',$programFolder)

;find backups first
$fileSearch = FileFindFirstFile($programFolder & "\backup_raptr_encoder_server*.exe")
If $fileSearch <> -1 Then
	$fileName = ""

;return backups to normal
	While 1
		$fileName = FileFindNextFile($fileSearch)
		If @error Then ExitLoop
		FileMove($programFolder & $fileName,$programFolder & StringReplace($fileName,"backup_",""))
	WEnd
EndIf

;start raptr
ShellExecute($programFolder & "raptr.exe")
Sleep(5000) ;let the program detect the files before renaming

;find non-backups
$fileSearch = FileFindFirstFile($programFolder & "\raptr_encoder_server*.exe")
If $fileSearch <> -1 Then
	$fileName = ""

;make backups again
	While 1
		$fileName = FileFindNextFile($fileSearch)
		If @error Then ExitLoop
		FileMove($programFolder & $fileName,$programFolder & "backup_" & $fileName)
	WEnd
EndIf

Either hit F5 to run, or save/compile it somewhere and either run the .au3 or the .exe (compiled). It requires admin, so it's not going to work on startup unless you make a scheduled task for it, or you reinstall raptr to a user folder (like c:\users\username\raptr) and remove the #requireadmin line from the script.

In short, it finds backup files (only supports scripts version of a backup), renames them to normal on startup, starts raptr, waits 5 seconds, renames them back to a backup filename.

So, you get raptr to start properly without complaining about missing encoder EXEs and also get to rename them automatically without the dreaded 109 error, crashing, or 0-1fps in all your tracked games.

Merry Christmas!

Edit:

Seems the installer won't let you customize anything with the installer. It just installs where it wants to. The only way I see being able to use my script on startup is to give "users" rights to the entire raptr folder (slight security risk, but worth it, IMO), remove the #RequireAdmin line, add it to shell:startup (win+r, paste, enter), open raptr up and remove the "automatically start raptr" option.

I tried moving the whole folder to C:\raptr and editing the two registry keys (one in script in LM wow64), but then it still tries to load raptr_ep64.exe from program files for some reason (checked for ini/cfg files and came up with nothing).

25 days and counting, still not fixed, using your workaround since you posted it, just wanted to say thanks ^_^

You are welcome. Thanks for posting. I was starting to think no one had read it or, even worse, found it useful.

My ticket still hasn't been touched. "Being Processed since 10 days 2 hours"

"Being Processed" is certainly misleading as that's what it started as. Should be "Hasn't been looked at yet since 10 days 2 hours"

Thanks a lot for this. Haven't been able to use Raptr now for months and when I last looked around I couldn't find any workarounds. 

Is there a way I can add "workaround" into the title? Not familiar with this forum software.

Also, ticket untouched for 24 days now and will be 25 days in <1 hour.

BTW, I can confirm that it works perfectly if you remove the admin requirement line in my script, change the permissions of the raptr folder (which should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Raptr") to allowed on "full control" for "users", compile, add exe or shortcut to exe into shell:startup, then remove raptr's settings to startup with windows ("automatically start raptr" option) and raptr will start using my script.

This is probably the best way to do it (if you need it on startup anyways).

If you ever need to restart raptr (update, etc), just close it like normal and open shell:startup and run the shortcut/exe (or make a shortcut on your desktop or wherever is convenient).

Hey there guys.
Really sorry for the wait.
We believe we may have gotten to the root of this issue and we were wondering if you guys could try something for us?

There is a Windows Security Update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2703761

So basically there are a few versions of Windows 8 (More specifically Windows 8N, and Windows 8KN), that doesn't have the media package that we typically call up in order to utilize the GVR.

This Windows Update (Windows Media Feature Pack for Windows 8 N and Windows 8 KN) should resolve this issue.

If you guys could try this out for us, we'd really appreciate it.  Again, really sorry for not getting to this post sooner than we did!

I am using windows 8.1N so i downloaded this one Media Feature Pack for Windows 8.1 N and now its working ^_^, no more gamedvr errors, thanks!

Burns reply pointed me to right direction. 

Hey there guys.
We believe we may have gotten to the root of this issue and we were wondering if you guys could try something for us?

So basically there are a few versions of Windows 8 (More specifically Windows 8N, and Windows 8KN), that doesn't have the media package that we typically call up in order to utilize the GVR.

This Windows Update (Windows Media Feature Pack for Windows 8 N and Windows 8 KN) should resolve this issue. 

If you guys could try this out for us, we'd really appreciate it.  Again, really sorry for not getting to this post sooner than we did!

Instead of Windows 8 pack I had to download 8.1 pack which is here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744

After I installed that feature pack I had no GameDVR errors!

Hey there guys.

If you have Windows 8.1 then download this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42503

It did the trick for me! Thank you!

Yes finally after 4 months I can use raptr again. Thanks burn!

Your link is only for windows 8.0 though.

For windows 8.1 it is this link: https://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2929699/sv

Yes! That fixed it!

Thanks for the reply/fix. Sorry I didn't see it until today.

Yes, I was running 8.1 Pro N.

That requires a different download, which is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42503

Awesome!

Let me know if anything else comes up!  I'll mark this as resolved for now.

What about the people that don't use 8.1? What are we supposed to download?